Aquin Tablet Requirements for 2013-14
Students in grades 4-12 will be required to bring an electronic device to school daily. Here's a run-down of your options:
- Aquin's preference is a 7" or larger Android Tablet with the Ice Cream Sandwich platform (or higher).
If you are purchasing an Android, get an 'ice cream sandwich', 'jelly bean' or 'key lime pie' platform. Rather than naming new versions by 'numbers' (ie. 3, 3.1, 3.2, etc.), Android names versions alphabetically. So, the further down the alphabet, the newer the version. Jelly Bean and Key Lime pie are the latest versions.
- Your best bet of being safe (if you’re not a tech-shopper) is to go to Staples.
All of their tablets are ‘good ones’. The Google Nexus tablet and the Samsung Galaxy tablets are pretty reliable at a decent price. The device should cost around $200 or more.
- Non-Android devices are also ‘ok’ to use, even though some apps used by Aquin teachers may only work on Android (although the 2 markets are coming closer together).
- From Apple, the iPad mini is very good, but a little pricier at $329.
- The iPad is great, but even pricier at $499.
- An iPod Touch ($199) will work, but a bit limited in usage by it’s size.
- A Kindle Fire will work, but cannot access the 'android' app store so some apps the teachers use may not be compatible.
- A Nook HD+ at Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208) is a great deal at $149.
- Buy it with ScripNow! and get 4% back for Aquin and 4% back in your tuition account. Contact email@example.com to set-up your online Scrip account.
- A 'smartphone' will work.
- One last recommendation . . . if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Other Requirements:
- Earbuds are required. The buds are not to be 'headphones' that cover the ears.
- Please make sure that your child tries the buds for size and clarity.
- Device cases and Full-Zip Binders are highly recommended.
- We have found in 2013-14 that devices carried in cases inside zip binders are much less likely to break than devices without any protection.
- If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Aquin Tech Group.
- Rich Chang . firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michele Morrison . email@example.com
- Laura Diemer . firstname.lastname@example.org