Early Childhood (Preschool)
2020-2021 AQUIN PRESCHOOL
INFORMATION & PROGRAMS
The Aquin Catholic School System is a faith community founded in Christ where all individuals are given the opportunity to develop both their moral character and learning potential.
The Aquin Catholic School System, in agreement with the Bishops of the United States, “strives to relate all human culture eventually to the news of salvation, so that the life of faith with illumine the knowledge which students gradually gain of the world of life, or mankind.” (Christian Ed. 8) Here, therefore, students are instructed in human knowledge and skills, valued indeed for their own worth but seen simultaneously as deriving their most profound significance from God’s plan for His creation. Here, too, instruction in religious truth and values is an integral part of the school program. It is perceived and functions as the underlying reality in which the students’ experiences of learning and living achieve their coherence and deepest meaning.
- Full Day Program Students
- Preschool doors will open at 7:30am.
- Half Day Program Students
- Preschool doors will open at 7:50am.
- All students are to be at preschool no later than 8:10am.
- The Aquin preschool follows the school year calendar for the entire Aquin School System. Please check the Aquin website to access the Aquin school web calendar.
- Early Release Days
- Preschool will release at 12:15 p.m. on all early release dates.
- There will be no lunch time on these dates.
- There is no lunch service at the Aquin preschool.
- All full day students are responsible for bringing their own lunch from home.
- There will be days when the teachers offer a special lunch option for any full day preschool student. The teacher will send out the special lunch option information to families in advance.
The Aquin Preschool Center addresses the development of the whole child. We feel that young children learn and grow best in an environment that responds to their physical, emotional, social, intellectual, and spiritual needs. We believe children build positive self-concepts and self-efficacy through interaction with a rich, varied environment; other children; and warm, supportive adults. Our program offers a balance of free choice and structured activities in large group, small group, and individual settings. We believe children develop a positive self-concept when they are respected, listened to, and loved. Children enhance their sense of initiative, self-discovery, and learning potential when they choose activities based on their abilities and interests. The Aquin Preschool Center has been designed to provide exciting and appropriate learning experiences for your child. Our curriculum includes reading and language arts, science, mathematics, music, art, drama, and movement education.
Two Day Program
- Children must be three (3) years of age by September 1st and fully potty-trained. The two day program meets only on Tuesdays and Thursdays mornings from 8:00 a.m.-11:45 a.m. Enrollment is limited.
This program is designed for the child who has had limited or no preschool or childcare experience. Children will be encouraged to socialize, take turns, share, and learn about the feelings of others. Art, music, and movement education experiences will help the children develop fine and gross motor skills. Language and literature experiences will lengthen attention spans and create enjoyment in the world of books. Each child’s natural creativity and urge to experiment and discover will be a part of every day’s preschool experience.
Three Day Half-Day or Full-Day Program
- Children must be four (4) years of age by September 1st and fully potty-trained. The three day half and full day program meets only on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The half day program meets from 8:00 a.m.-11:45 a.m. The full day program meets from 8:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
These programs are designed for the child ready for a traditional preschool experience. The children will continue to develop their fine and gross motor skills through various study units. They will build skills in sharing, cooperating, and recognizing the feelings of others. The children will be working on the goals of recognizing their first and last name, their address, their phone number, and their birthday. In addition, the children will be encouraged to print their first name. We will help each child develop the emotional skills involved in listening, self control, following directions, and finishing tasks. All academic subjects are taught in the morning session. Afternoon children will have recess, lunch, and a rest period followed by curriculum enhancement.
Five Day Half Day or Full Day Program
- Children must be four (4) years of age by September 1st and fully potty-trained. The five day half and full day program meets Monday through Friday. The half day program meets from 8:00 a.m.-11:45 a.m. The full day program meets from 8:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
The five-day program is designed for the older four or five year old child who, in preparation for kindergarten, would benefit most from a daily program of enrichment, free choice, and structured experiences. We welcome children who either have or have not participated in preschool programs and would benefit from an additional year of growth before entering kindergarten. The children will be encouraged to focus on more in-depth study units. Special projects in art, science, music, cooking, and drama will be offered. Language art activities will focus on listening, speaking, and development of emerging literacy skills. The children will be exposed to printing letters, printing their first and last names, and numbers. Additional reinforcement of each child's first and last name, address, phone number, and birthday will be emphasized. The children will be urged to explore, describe, compare, and investigate their world. Mathematics will be explored through the children's use of manipulatives and objects from their everyday world.
As with the three-day programs, all subjects are taught in the morning sessions. The afternoons consist of recess, lunch, and a rest period. The remainder of the afternoons will consist of activities that enhance the morning curriculum.