'Halloween-a-thon' will run through the month of October! The goal of this event is $25,000. This goal can be easily reached if each student raises $100 in pledges. We have set-up a great online site for pledges which links directly to Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites. Each family should create a team there--it takes less than 5 minutes--and then donations will just start pouring in. (Of course, we will accept money the good old-fashioned ways--cash and checks--as well.)
The 'walk' day is on a school day, so all students are here and able to participate. Pledge letters will be written and sent from school--4 per student--to families and friends across the country (heck, even the world). Each student will be asked to provide 4 stamps for their letters or $2 for postage. Students in the lower grades will have a letter which they will personalize by filling in the blanks on the forms, whereas the upper level students will write complete letters. There will be ‘suggested donation’ form from Aquin that will go out with the letters. The letters will be sent from Aquin.
We have a website for online and 'texted' donations! Students, families and staff can create a team online and everyone can track the progress of your team’s donations. Get started now at: http://www.crowdrise.com/halloweenathon.
Feel free to donate to our team or create your own. Once your team is created it will show up on the ‘Aquin Halloween-a-thon’ page and others may choose to donate to your team.
This site also has a real-time count of our totals of online donations--how awesome is that! The site is free to us, but they do take a small percentage of online donations. Donors can offset that amount though during the donation process. As an example: When you make a $10 donation, you will be given the option to add $1 to your pledge to cover the administrative costs of the site. After your donation is made, an email receipt will be automatically sent detailing your total donation. Your donation was $11, but is reflected as $10 on the Aquin site.
Here’s a quick guide on how you can join the fun online and start adding to our total.
- Go to http://www.crowdrise.com/Halloweenathon.
- Click on ‘Start a Fundraiser’ in the top navigation bar (3rd selection from the left)
- A dialog box will open up and ask you to ‘Join a Team’ or ‘Start a New Fundraiser’. You want to ‘Start a New Fundraiser’ to create your family team.
- A new page will open and there will be 3 Steps for you to complete:
- Name your team
- Enter your team monetary goal
- Describe your fundraiser. If you’re at a loss for words, feel free to use or elaborate on these 2 options:
- Our annual Fall Fundraising event has a 'scary' twist as we are extending the fun of Halloween throughout the month of October. All proceeds will go to the Aquin Education Fund--supporting teachers and students in the classroom. Our students, staff and parents will come together at our high school campus to celebrate and culminate this great event. Please consider donating $10, $20 or more to help Aquin's puppies to Bulldogs. We thank you for your support!
- Hey friends! Aquin just launched their annual Fall Fundraiser and we'd love it if you'd support our family team. All funds will go directly to Aquin to support the educational expenses of our preschool through 12th grade system here in Freeport. Since the theme is Halloween, I pulled out a picture from the Diemer archives featuring Batman and Robin. These 2 caped crusaders are now fighting dangling participles and monstrous math equations in 8th and 10th grades. Please help these Bulldogs!
- upload a picture that best represents your family team.
- link your fundraiser to Aquin Schools’ Halloween-a-thon.
5. You will begin receiving emails from Crowdrise on how to spread the reach of your fundraiser team.
Share your fundraiser on social media and ask others to share it as well.
6. Then wait for the emails announcing the donations to your team.
If you prefer not to have email notifications, follow the directions in the email to change your settings or go to your team page and make changes there. You can also edit your team page using the top navigation tabs anytime throughout our fundraiser.
Email me or use the help/support on Crowdrise. The site is really fun and entertaining. Enjoy!
To motivate students to send the letters, encourage early donations and encourage online teams, we will have incentives at each campus. On 4 dates, students who have met the ‘goals’ of the period will get to play our Halloween-themed ‘Plinko' game one time during their lunch period. The prizes will be 1, 2, 3 or 5 ‘pirate coins’. Each coin will be worth $.25 each at our high school concessions and at either campus cafeteria. Coins must be redeemed before Christmas break.
♦ Adjusted Incentive Date 1 . October 9
--have all 4 letters written and have postage turned in
♦ Incentive Date 2 . October 15
--be part of an online team and/or have $50 in pledges received
♦ Incentive Date 3 . October 21
--have $100 in pledges received
♦ Incentive Date 4 . October 28 . Walk-a-thon Day!
--various games and activities on the walk could earn additional ‘pirate coins’
Of course we will have some friendly competition to encourage lots of pledges as well. Our top family team will receive a credit to their tuition account--for the amount of pledges they have raised. So if the top team raises $500 in pledges, they will receive a credit to their tuition in that amount.
Our 2nd place family team will receive a brand-new Nook HD+ tablet.
The donation site will be open and accepting donations through November 3. Donations made there and any cash or check donations made to either Aquin office by 3:00 on Monday, November 3 will be counted in the family totals. Donations made after November 3 will be accepted (we never turn away money), but those donations will not count toward a family’s total.
The 'Halloween-a-thon' will culminate on October 28 at the high school. Classes will participate outside for about 2 hours at staggered times throughout the day. Students will be able to come in Halloween costumes--but make sure the costume is something they can walk and be active in. They will walk a 'haunted trail' around the football field, through the shed, over to the Jr. High football practice field and then back down to the football field. The route will be full of fun items--trunk or treat, haunted shed, mad scientist lab and games. Preschool-Grade 6 will walk the trails. Grades 7-12 will help with the walkers and help with the 'haunting' of the trail. It will be kept to an age-appropriate level and there will be optional routes if something might be too scary for the walkers.
Parents are welcome to come and walk the trail and volunteer to work the trail. As the date gets closer we will put out a list of what we need. But, if you are especially skilled as a ‘mad scientist’, trunk-or-treat decorator or possess other Halloween skills, please let us know and we will gladly utilize your talents.
Here is the plan!
1. Student Letter and Donation Form
- Aquin will be printing 4 letters and 4 forms per student for them to send
- each student must provide:4 addresses to mail letters to
- 4 stamps or $2 for postage
- each student will:
- address 4 letters
- complete the salutation for 4 letters
- sign 4 letters
- fill in their name on the donation form
- Aquin will stuff them into envelopes and mail
- to make this all possible, letters must stay at school and be turned into the teacher who distributes the letters
2. The initial incentive for completing this portion of the campaign is Tuesday, October 7.
3. If students do not have 4 people to send to, they can use 2 addresses of alumni which will be provided to each teacher. Students can then complete letters to alumni from those lists.
4. Please encourage your student(s) to personalize the letters to encourage more donations. The donations received from the letters will be credited to the student's family team.
5. The student letter and donation form is viewable at http://www.aquinschools.org/halloweenathon.cfm. Feel free to download and print this letter and send additional letters from home.
6. Students should be able to start with their letters Monday, but it will depend on the teacher’s schedule as to when they complete the letters. They will do their best to have them done by Tuesday, October 8, so students may be eligible for the 1st Incentive Day.
7. If you or your student would prefer to use this as letter-writing practice, and not use the cover letter, feel free. Just be sure to include the donation sheet in any mailings you do on your own.
8. Teachers will be tracking the letter completion and postage donation to make your student(s) eligible for the incentives.
9. Thank you very much for your help. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Throughout this event, your class reps will be your resource and your cheerleader. If you have questions--or want to help them with an event--you can contact them, or me. Main events your class reps help with are the Halloween-a-thon, Adesse, and Guardian of the Shield. Thanks for your support!
Preschool . Emily Mullarkey
Kindergarten . Lucrecia London
Grade 1 . Kim Beggin
Grade 2 . Angela Garcia
Grade 3 . Kara Carlisle
Grade 4 . Wendy Domino and Misty Thruman
Grade 5 . Andrea Ege
Grade 6 . Jess Stykel
Grade 7 . Kathleen McIntyre
Grade 8 . Teresa Whalen
Grade 9 . Dawn Carlson
Grade 10 . Karleen Budenz
Grade 11 . Jean Johnson
Grade 12 . Darcy Brunner
Activities & Games
Haunted Trail around Conley Field
Bean Bag Games/Tourney
Activity Stations--word searches, scavenger hunt
Mad Scientist Fun
Pop goes the Pumpkin
Jumbo Halloween Matching Game
Ring Toss for Spider
students write letters
families make teams
St. Joe’s students assigned time slots--2 hours each
Aquin high school students assigned time slots--supervise/partner with St. Joe’s
Parents encouraged to attend and volunteer
‘Keep the Drive Alive’ Incentive Days
Tuition Credit--Top Family
- Nook HD+--2nd Family
|First Name||Last Name||Amount Raised - Crowdrise||Amount Raised - Offline||Total Raised||# of Donations||Fundraising Goal|